Friday, December 14, 2012

Living on a Prayer


I pray A LOT.

Like a million times a day (well, at least it feels like a million).

Prayer is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going and gets me through. When I'm on the verge of a total Mommy meltdown, a quick prayer gives me a little bit of calm and gets me centered.

I'm not an over the top religious type. We go to church on Sunday. Pray before dinner. I read my morning devotional. But I fail daily at living a good Christian life. And that's okay. Because I'm not perfect.

But I never waiver in my practice of praying. I pray for everything. For my husband, my kids, stability, our friends, our world. I offer prayers of Thanksgiving for our many blessings. I pray more times than not that God will help me to be a better wife, mother and role model.

There is no situation I don't take to God. Our finances? You bet. The way I just handled a situation with one of our kids. Sure. My feelings of failure and inadequacy? All the time. Because if I can't tell God and ask for help, than who can I tell?

And you know what never ceases to amaze me? The fact that He hears me and answers my prayers. However, he rarely answers them in the way that I had envisioned in my head. More times than not it takes a few days for me to even realize it's a prayer answered. That God, he's a tricky one. And he answers our call for help the way he sees fit - not always the way we do. And he's always right. In the end, it always makes sense. And all I can do is chuckle to myself, shake my head and marvel at how a little faith and a few words go a long way.

So, I'm not really sure if that's what Bon Jovi had in mind when he recorded 'Living on a Prayer.' But this girl right here lives each day by prayer. It's what keeps me going on the rough days. It reminds me to count my many, many blessings. And most importantly, it's probably kept me from about a million 'Mommy Dearest' moments!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, was not finished... Prayer does get us through the harder times in life....
    http://weekendcowgirl.com/

    ReplyDelete