Tuesday, December 6, 2011

5 Lessons I Hope Our Children Learn


Having kids in my life to raise has really changed me. Changed me in a good way. For the first time, probably in my whole life, I've learned to put other people ahead of me. I've made sacrifices and given things up that I never thought I would.

I've learned what it is to worry myself sick over someone. I'm constantly thinking of what we could be doing better or different to help shape and mold them. I'm working every day to ensure that we are doing everything we can to shape them into the kind of adults we want them to be when we send them off into the world.

There are the 5 lessons I truly hope they all learn and take with them by the time they are ready to journey off into the real world. And I hope they are lessons they hold dear and pass on to their kiddos one day.

  1. Hard Work Pays Off – I want them to know that if they really want something, they have to work for it. Nothing comes free and most things don't come easy. Rather it be grades, sports, getting into college or pursuing their dreams – they have to put in the time, effort and elbow grease to get it accomplished. And with enough hard work, they can accomplish anything.
  2. There is A Great Big World Out There – So get out there and see it! I hope to ensure they realize that there is life beyond the city limits of our small town. There is so much out there to see and do and experience. I want them to experience other cultures, foods and see all the amazing things this world has to offer. I want them to move off and live a life some place else. And then, if they decide to come home, they at least know what's out there.
  3. Do What You Love and Love What You Do – As they are getting older and realizing what their passions are and are figuring out who they are – I want them to know the sky is the limit on the direction their life can take. I want them to dream big as to what their future holds and pursue what is truly going to make them happy. If that means dreaming of being a Major League Ballplayer – I say 'set your eyes on it and accomplish it.' Whatever they decide to do, I want it to be something that they love and truly makes them happy.
  4. Don't Settle – In any aspect of your life. Not in your career. You choice in romantic partners or who you might marry. In school or where you choose to live. Don't settle for anything less than what you want or what you're capable of. Because you're the author of your own story and you can choose to live to your full potential.
  5. Be True to Yourself – You will have friends try to change you or lead you down the wrong path. There will be many trials and tribulations on your journey that you will have to conquer. Money and power and careers will lure you to make difficult decisions. Not everyone who comes into your life will have your best interests at heart. Through it all, always remain true to yourself. Live your life by your own morals and values. Make decisions based on what is best for you and where you want to be in life. And never let anyone change you. If someone try’s to change you, they don't really care about you to begin with.
What lessons are important to you that your children learn and take with them?

2 comments:

  1. i'm reading these on the day i turn another year older, with a lot of reflection and can't help but think man these are great lessons for anyone at any age. i think the only things i can add is in addition to hard work pays off, learning financial stability and living within your means, especially in this economy. also i would add knowing that you can always change. change your mind, change your ways, your job... i suppose that's along the lines of not settling but the best thing i've learned about this is that no matter how hard you fall (which i think most people have a time in their life when they are really struggling) things will always change, and you always have the ability to change things to make them better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Great post and really good life lessons...
    I always want my girls to be true to themselves, and not to be somebody else to please someone else {if that makes sense} .
    Also i talk alot about ambitions and dreams.
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete