Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Statements of a Young Me


I was sorting through some old emails the other day. Ones between a friend of mine and me from back in '06. I was amazed at some of the things I said and thought! I have grown and changed so much over the last 5 years. Truly, I'm not even the same person (or even close to it), I was back then. I understand it's all a part of growing up and becoming the person we were meant to be. But, to look back on it now – versus the place I am in my life now – was actually quite comical! Thought I would share some of my grand realizations from then and how it compares to my life now. It's just a reminder that we never know where we are going to end up or what God has in store for us!


Then: “Honestly, at this point, I don't believe there is such thing as the 'one.' I think at some point we all settle. And I won't settle. My life is too amazing on it's own... so if a man is not going to enhance it or contribute to it, I certainly don't need it!!”
Now: Well, we all know I've found 'the one.' And I don't know how I ever lived life prior to him. He has enhanced and contributed to my life in more ways than I could ever list on this blog. He is exactly what I waited 31 years for and there is not a shred of doubt in me that he is my soul mate! There was no settling in this situation – there are days I wonder how I ever got so lucky to spend the rest of my life with him!


Then: “I kinda freak out at the thought of giving up my life, freedom, independence and privacy to make room for someone else. Is that totally crazy? “
Now: Ummm, yes young Amanda. That is totally crazy. Just because you choose to spend your life with someone, this does not mean you have to give anything up. I still have freedom and independence and everything else. I just have someone who makes my life that much better and I get to share it all with! Young Amanda would have died laughing at the thought of having 4 step-kids under her roof!


Then: “Do you think it's possible to have a mid-life crisis at the age of 27? I've actually considered moving home... now that is CRAZY!”
Now: I must be crazy. Because I did move home! And haven't regretted it one second. No, I did not have a mid-life crisis at 27... but I'm sure at the time, whatever it was I was going through was very real and relevant. I've learned to deal with life so much better – with less drama and complications. That's one good thing about growing up.


Then: “Not a whole lot else going on. Just work work work. That's the life of a career gal.”
Now: Corporate America is for the birds! When I got out of college all I could think about was being a full fledged career gal. And that ended up with me in the hospital and realizing what really matters in life. Now I have a job I enjoy – can leave it behind at 5 and concentrate on the important things like my family and friends and pursuing my dreams.


Then: “I'm a work-a-holic. That happens when you're a single, career girl. My career is front and center right now... and that's where I have placed it, so I can't complain.”
Now: Doubled over laughing.


Then: “I think Chucky Cheese would only prove to be a very good form of birth control for me. Kids aren't really my thing. I'm not good with them and sometimes tend to just not like them -- at all. They are like this strange sub-species that I know nothing about. Great for my friends.... don't know if it will happen for me.”
Now: 4 step-kids that I adore and hoping to add my very own to the bunch in the very near future ;) I wouldn't trade having the kids in my life for anything. It's stressful, maddening and frustrating – but so rewarding! And I do know A LOT about raising kids, believe it or not! It just has come very naturally to me.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!
    I recently found a journal I wrote when I was ten. what an experience to go back in time and witness the thinking of my ten year old self!
    you've inspired me to write about this,
    thank you.
    http://aprilstarrstudios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! I love it :)

    And it is especially true that you don't have to give up anything to have a family. In fact- you GAIN so much more, such a full life!

    ReplyDelete