Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thought for Thursday: The Next Chapter


First of all, I appreciate all the kind words and feedback I got yesterday.

Amanda M. said it best when she told me, “ blogging should be fun! If it's not, then get back to basics. Blog for YOU!” Where was she when I needed her a month ago?

So that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to write about what's on my heart, when I feel like it and not sweat all the other stuff. Because writing has always been part of who I am and something that brings me a lot of joy.
Pinned Image
As my big day approaches, I've been doing a lot of thinking. Getting married is starting a new chapter in this thing called life. And with the beginning of any new chapter comes changes. So, what better time to reflect on what it is I truly want out of my life and what is most important.

So, I came up with four things I really want to focus on. All four are things that are doable. But more importantly, all four things are common themes in my life. They are all things that I have thought about continuously or attempted to do in the past, but fell short. I figure, if the same ideas have such a recurrence in my life, there is a reason for this. And it's time I actually do it and stop talking about it. Thus, a few things to accompany my new life as a Mrs.

So, the following is what I've promised to myself:

1. To Feel Good – go to the doctor like I should; change David and my eating habits; get active; make plenty of time for me; eat breakfast and lunch every day; volunteer or take a class; live intentionally and with purpose

2. Set Up Shop – reopen my Etsy shop and start an Ebay shop as well that is strictly vintage finds; use my love for unique and fun vintage and antique things to help financially support my family; learn and research as much as I can; continue to scout out estate sales, garage sales, etc for interesting pieces that speak to me

3. Focus on Family – cut out the distractions in our life (i.e. television, Internet, social media); have family time weekly (mandatory); plan at least two extended weekend trips to take the kids someplace they have never been; find activities to do that include everyone and bring us together

4. Be an Amazing Wife – be supportive, helpful, understanding and loving; remember it's the little things that count; flirt; have a weekly date night; plan a bi-monthly overnight getaway; compromise; communicate

I believe that this list is one that I can actually do. It's simple enough that I can achieve it and all of it will make me happier, feel better and bring some balance and joy into my life. I'm excited about all of it. I'm already planning our first weekend trip with the kids for Labor Day weekend (hoping to get to Vicksburg, MS for some civil war history).

And the inventory for the new shops is already there. I just have to start photographing and listing after the honeymoon. And let me tell you, I've got some amazing stuff I'm so excited to share and offer everyone! I mean it. Selling vintage is what I should have been doing from the get go, instead of trying to do something that really wasn't me. Antiques are in my blood (but another post on that, another time).

So, I hope everyone will forgive my absence and stick around for the next chapter. I see some fun and exciting things happening and hope you will all come along for the ride!



Elf House Chronicles


3 comments:

  1. Hello, lovely to have you back !!

    I struggled to find a happy medium with blogging earlier in the year, your right worrying about statistics, followers, ect takes the fun out of blogging..

    Do what makes you happy..

    Love your plans/goals I think it's a really good idea, I wish you the very best with everything, I ave missed you the past couple of weeks ..

    Love and hugs


    Claire xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some awesome goals! With the mister starting classes in a month (OMG!), I've been freakin' out a bit on how that will change my life too. I want college to be easy on him, so I'm trying to take on some of the other household duties he would usually do...like cooking. This is going to be quite a change for me & I will definitely have to find time to step away for myself.

    Now if I can just get my craft room organized again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl, do it for you and only you. I want to be able to look back and remember this time in our life. i find myself often times getting caught up in it all. just remember we love to read about how you are feeling and what is going on in your life. you are an inspiration to so many, including me. hope you are enjoying these last few days before the wedding. xo

    ReplyDelete