Tuesday, May 1, 2012

True Story: Sometimes I Just Lose My S**T


This is a true story of how David's half eaten Texas Rangers birthday cake was thrown in the trash in a fit of rage. I've never claimed to be perfect. And I meet my mama threshold sometimes and act out in ways I'm none to proud of. Like throwing away half a birthday cake to make a point.



However, let me back up.

Sunday morning the girls and I emptied all the cabinets in the kitchen because the exterminator was coming on Monday. This was no easy task. As you can tell from the picture below, I have a whole lot of crap. This was just the tip of the iceberg. Not only do I have a whole lot of crap, but 99.9% of it is breakable and about half of it is sentimental to me. My house is cramped as is with 4 kids, 2 adults and 3 dogs and adding piles of breakables to the dining room table and kitchen counters is truly just a recipe for disaster. However, it had no other place to go.




Somewhere between Sunday morning and Sunday evening I started to feel sick. Some sort of stomach virus. And so I went to bed and that is where I stayed for the remainder of Monday. Well, that's a lie, I had to go sleep on my parents couch because the exterminator was coming and I didn't want to be poisoned with roach and termite pesticide.

The kids get off the bus and come into the house around 4 p.m. each day. Normally, I'm still at work and have no way to monitor the shenanigans and debauchery that happens prior to me getting home. Being home sick, with a dining room and kitchen full of breakable, sentimental items, I ask the boys nicely to grab a quick easy snack out of the freezer, don't rummage around anywhere else and please try to avoid the 'breakable zone.' Yes, I know it's an inconvenience. However, it's a short lived one. So, just work with me here.

Come about 5:15, what do I hear? A lot of rummaging and scrounging. And so I drag my sick tail out of bed to find them eating birthday cake out of the box, which is perched precariously on the dining room table among all the breakables. And I don't know any more polite way to say this than, I totally lost my shit. I picked up the cake and threw it in the trash, at the same time grabbing forks out of grubby little icing fingers and yelled who knows what. And of course, this is the exact moment David walks in the front door!

Not my most shining moment in motherhood. I'm sure Dr. Phil would have a million things to say about my behavior. But friends, I'm human. And there is only so much I can take before blowing my top. It wasn't about the birthday cake. It was about the 2 prior weeks of bad grades and bad attitudes and disregard for rules. All those little things we deal with daily that somehow manage to build up until it's almost to much to bare.

And then innocent cake lives are lost.

This is normal behavior, yes? Moms, please tell me that this is part of parenting and happens to the best of us. We all just lose our shit sometimes, right??

1 comment:

  1. yeap !its normal..

    i am exactly the same i can tolerate so much for so long, then when something else happens i loose it, it is so frustrating especially when you are trying your best to juggle all responsibilities...

    you doing a great job :)

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete