Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rural Reading Corner


So, as of late, I've put down my Kindle and opted for the more old fashioned approach - checking out books from the library. This may not seem like such a big deal, however, 1.) I'm kinda addicted to my Kindle and the accessibility of it and 2.)I live in a town of 4,500, so the available books at the library are limited (read more on my love/hate library relationship here).


However, in an attempt to save on money and still be able to do the things I enjoy, I've decided to check out books versus paying for them. Plus, the kids can utilize the library this summer to check out books as well and they have some pretty neat summer events lined up!

The first thing I did before making my trip was to cross reference every book on my Amazon wish list to the library database. That's one awesome thing about the library, you can look up books online, see if they are checked in or out and also reserve them! So, that's one thing that made me a little happy. My wish list is about 45 books long and after the tally was done, the public library had 8 of those books. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. However, I did not let it deter me. I went and found one off my list and then something magical occurred.


I read it in twice the time I normally do! I'm talking 2 day turn around here! All I can think is I knew when I finished I could go back and get another one - at no cost! I didn't have to worry about scanning my wish list and finding a cheaper one or playing that game in my head where I ask, "do you really need to spend money on a book right now?" I just went the two blocks up, turned one in and checked another one out! Guess what? Another 2 to 3 day turnaround! I can't put books down. I'm up till midnight reading. I'm spending my lunch break at the library!


There are still several things I don't love about our public library: their hours and selection being my main gripes, I'm excited to be in love with reading again. And I'm contemplating trying to snag a spot on the library board (why complain if you're not willing to do something about it)!

So, here's a short list of what I've read in the last few weeks. I've absolutely loved every singe one of them. And I would recommend them to you. My reading tastes are all over the board. So the books I offer up will always be a hodge podge of a little bit of everything. I'm not a reading snob. I just like a good book - no matter the genre!

  • The Paris Wife by Paula McLain: This book is non-fiction. It's about Hadley Hemingway and the struggle and role she plays in the life as Ernest, as his wife. It's set in Paris in the 20's and has a litle bit of everything: sex, drugs, romance, adventure and heartache. After reading it I really wanted to find some fiction books on Ernest Hemingway's wife and read some true accounts of the life she lead.
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson: For some reason, I kept putting off picking this one up and taking it home, even though it was on my wish list. But once I started, I just could not stop. I fell in love with Major Pettigrew from the get go. A tale that has you rooting for true love to prevail and takes a close look at racisim and social status.
  • The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom: All I can say about this book is it made me feel. It made me mad and hurt and it made my heart ache. Set on a tobacco plantation, it follows the story of the servants who work there, the family who runs it and all the relationships that take place - and the disaster and joy those relationships can bring.
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church by Gregg Olsen: Sometimes I like a good Fiction book. I'm obsessed with 48 Hours Mystery, Dateline Mystery and any forensic show that comes on, so I figured this would be a good fit. A true life murder mystery. I read this book in a day. I couldn't stop - I would tell myself 'just one more chapter' and then keep reading. I think it was because it was almost like reading a non-fiction; to fantastic to be real! But oh so good.

So, you tell me - what's been your favorite read lately? I'll check out public library database and pray it's there. I've already almost made it through my initial list!

2 comments:

  1. Oddly, I've been doing the same thing. I have a Kindle as well and have read ebooks for the past two years but a couple of weeks ago I got a small stack of books from a charity shop for £2 and because I've been taking my little one to the library so much lately, I've started getting books for myself. It's been nice to hold a paperback again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my local library. I swear I'm there every single week. They have a pretty decent selection, and have that same ability to reserve a book when it's checked back in. Sometimes I go in knowing what I want, and sometimes I just browse the New Releases shelves. There's been some gems and some duds from that, but I never lack for something to read. I think libraries are such an underrated commodity nowadays.

    If you miss your Kindle too much, you could check and see if your library lends e-books. A lot of them have started to do that. Not sure how it works exactly, since I don't have an e-reader, but worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete