Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thought for Thursday {What Matters}


“Ask yourself this question: ‘Will this matter a year from now?’” — Richard Carlson, American psychotherapist and writer, Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff


This has always been one of my Dad's favorite things to say to me. When I was younger, it would drive me absolutely crazy. I wanted someone to wallow in my pity with me or agree that whatever was the drama at the time, might be the end of life as I knew it. But every time he would say, "Is this going to matter a year from now?"

The older I get, the more this philosophy makes sense to me. I'm a worrier - I think I've made that fact pretty clear at this point. I can let one little thing consume me, where I think about it and worry about it and get anxious and upset. But most of the things I find to worry about are truly minute in the scheme of things. Honestly, most of them are forgotten or resolved within days or weeks. And after the fact, they weren't really that awful. So, why did I let it get the best of me?

So, sometimes I try my Dad's approach and ask myself, "Is this really going to matter a year from now?" More often than not, the answer is no. More often though, I let myself continue to worry. But the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that maybe I should pose this question to myself every time I get upset, worried, frustrated, angry. And maybe I can alleviate all that worrying from the get go (or at least some of it).

So, I invite you to take the challenge with me. Before you start to worry next time or over analyze or get mad, take a moment and ask yourself, "Is this really going to matter a year from now?" I guarantee, more than likely, it's not. So, why give it your energy and attention today?


Elf House Chronicles




2 comments:

  1. So true, so true!!! I love to remind myself of this (or my husband does :) when I begin to "worry" about things...linking up one of my older posts (not too old)...but, it seemed fitting :)...thanks for this post...loved it, as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post...it's so true! We get caught in every day life and lose sight on what truly matters. Thanks for sharing :) And for hosting...linking up again this week.

    ReplyDelete