Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Adventures in Small Town Reading....


I don't think I've ever taken the time to enlighten my lovely readers on my adventures with our public library. Let me back up. I love to read. I've been an avid reader since, probably the womb (okay, well since I was old enough to read). There is nothing better than wandering the aisles of a book store and soaking in all those lovely book spines and covers. Or settling down on the couch or in bed with a really fantastic book in hand. I used to think I had to buy every book I read. I wanted to own them. Have them lining my bookshelves.

 Then I got the glorious Kindle! Man was that amazing. Being able to download a book whenever I wanted. Just taking one thing on trips with me, yet having access to all those books, magazines and newspapers! And now, my newest situation. With a family of 6, I'm really having to re-prioritize what 'extras' we spend money on. In my mind, $10 a book is cheap. However, when you look at the big picture, that $10 could probably be better spent elsewhere. I know, when did I become so frugal? You're talking to the girl who used to drop $400+ on a new purse every 3 months (oh, how things change)!

So, the solution? The public library (duh). Seems like a great thing. That's what they are there for. Books for free – if I can remember to take them back on time. Since moving home 4 years ago, I have had a hate/hate relationship with our library. Remember, my town is population 4,500. Therefore, our library is not all that large. And their selection sucks (pardon my language). Every time I would make an attempt to go in there, I would have a list with all the books I wanted to check out. Every single time (no exaggeration), I never could find a single book on my list. They do not own it! Did I mention that they also aren't open on weekends and close at 5:30? Kinda makes it hard for the working Mom.

But alas, I decided to give it another try yesterday. Mainly because I wanted to start participating in the Retro Read going on at Meet Me At Mikes. This month they are doing James and the Giant Peach. Children's book. Popular. I just know they will have it. *Sigh* Shut down again. No James and the Giant Peach. So, no Retro Read for me this month. However, I did not let this stop me from checking out a book. I perused the fiction section and this one caught my eye:






I love the TV adaptation of Rose Red, so I figured 'what the hey' – I will give it a try. So I will. And I will continue to give our public library a try. Who knows, maybe it will push me to find some other things to read that I normally wouldn't. Force me to get creative in my selections. And maybe in a few years, they will get the books that are currently on the bestseller list (hey, a girl can dream can't she). And I will find something really good to do with the $10 I'm saving!

Lots of Love...

~Manda Jane~


1 comment:

  1. They close at 5:30?! That's crazy. I think that libraries should be open until at least 7PM. Let me know if you like the book because I enjoyed the miniseries also.

    ReplyDelete