Friday, May 20, 2011

Margaritaville - Day ((1))


So, I can't say that we got up super early and hit it and get it this morning. However, we were on the road by about 10:30. The trip from Pittsburg to Frisco is only about two and a half hours - and it's an easy little drive. I basically read my new issue of Bust magazine to keep from watching the road. God love my mother, but I think the older she gets, the more she just doesn't give a damn about other people on the road.

Now, for my dear readers who don't understand what a trip like this means - we live in a town of 4,500 people. Coming this far is the closest place for any decent food, shopping or concerts. So we are here to do it all! When we got into town, we decided to eat first. We didn't really have any certain place in mind, so we stopped at La Hacienda Ranch. The decor was quite rustic and festive. It was Mexican food and mom and I both chose a simple, light meal of tortilla soup and a salad. Nothing to write home about... but, decent enough.

La Hacienda Ranch


My cutie patootie Mom




After lunch, it was time to get down to some real work - shopping. We headed over to one of the big shopping areas to see what there was to offer. I got about 6 super rad new shirts for summer at Marshall's (mind you, I think this is the closest Marshall's to where we live). Unfortunately, while in there, a small monsoon hit the DFW area. Pouring rain, hail, thunder and lightning. Being the good daughter I am, I braved it all to get the car and pick mom up at the curb. We then sat in the car in front of one of my favorite stores waiting on the rain to clear up some (mind you, I haven't had a chance to visit DSW Shoes since my Austin days)!




We hit up a few more stores and decided to head out and get checked into our hotel. We're staying at the Sheraton and it was supposed to be directly off the highway. However, the GPS in my mom's brand new Chrysler 300 is quite retarded and apparently didn't agree that this is, in fact, thought the hotel was located on the other side of the road and about 2 miles in the opposite direction. Therefore, we spent 45 minutes driving in the pouring down, can't see an inch in front of your face, rain until we found it. Upon reaching our destination, I then managed to become even more drenched and miserable, parking the car, once again, so mommy dearest would not have to get wet. Note to self, and everyone else, there is a good chance I will be sick by the end of the weekend.

The highlight of this day was getting to have dinner at Edoko Sushi & Robata. Let me remind you once again, where I live is an extremely small East Texas town. Sushi is not something you come by easily. Especially not good sushi. So I always jump at the chance to gorge myself when in the 'big city.'


My mom is super cute when it comes to sushi. She has only learned in the past year to really try it and like it. She still has no clue how to use her chopsticks and her food normally ends up in her bowl of soy sauce with her diligently trying to fish it out! We both had a glass of wine - I was psyched to see a wine from a vineyard I had visited and tasted in Willamette Valley in Oregon - Erath Winery - known for their Pinot. So we had to have a glass!

Sushi rule is mom gets to pick one roll and I pick one roll - so she picked the Temptation (crab meat, cream cheese, shrimp tempura and crab stick):



And I ordered us the Geisha Roll (fried shrimp, crab meat, topped with avacado and tuna):


We also ordered off the Robata menu - which I will not lie, I had not heard of, nor had ever tried. Apparently it's traditional cooking on a bincho charcoal grill. We had bacon wrapped scallops and bacon wrapped tomatos and all I can say is YUMM-O! That was just a little bit of heaven!


We are now all cozied up in our hotel beds watching some tv. We figured with the bad weather still going on, it might be best to stay in. But tomorrow we will have to make up for lost time. I have 4 specific things I don't want to leave Frisco without - TOMS shoes, a romper, a Maxi dress and some kick ass stationary (did you know you can't find stationary anywere anymore? what is this world coming to)? And of course, tomorrow is the BIG night - the Jimmy Buffett concert.

Please send positive thoughts this way that it stops storming, because the concert is rain or shine! And I don't think my mom cares if it's raining or not - she is bound and dertermined to be in Margaritaville tomorrow night!


Lots of Love...


~Manda Jane~



No comments:

Post a Comment