Friday, May 29, 2015

A Letter to My Graduate


Dear Morgan,

I know you never thought you would actually make it to this point. But you have. Today you walk the stage and get your diploma and close this chapter in your life. When we started this journey together four years ago, you struggled with believing that you were smart and capable. I never doubted for a second how smart you were - I could see a bright and talented girl in front of me who just needed to believe in herself. And I was determined that I would make sure that you saw your full potential and would have the confidence that you were so very smart. It took some time - and some frustrations - but along the way, your confidence started to soar. Your grades improved and for once, I could see that you believed in yourself just as much as I believed in you. And you have no idea how happy that made me.

When we decided to transfer you to Pittsburg halfway through your Freshman year, you never once questioned us. You put on a brave face, but I can still remember how nervous you were that first day as we were getting you registered. You were worried about not knowing anyone and making friends. But I never for one second doubted that you wouldn't fit right in and have a group of friends in no time. People are instantly attracted to your sweet personality, your super soft heart and that beautiful infectious smile. You have always been a leader, never a follower. Your faith and trust in God is inspiring to everyone around you. You don't back down from your convictions and you don't mind  being the one standing alone, if that means standing up for what you believe is right. I have never seen you do anything out of peer pressure or to fit in - and I don't know if you truly understand how special and unique that makes you.

You probably have no idea the impact you have made on my life. When people talk about being beautiful on the inside - that is you through and through. Even though your beautiful beyond words, its who you are, the fiber of your being, that makes you truly beautiful. You radiate compassion and joy. You are authentic in a way that most adults can't even be.

I know your Senior year is not ending the way you had envisioned. I know this next chapter in life is scary and unknown and overwhelming. But I also know that because of who you are, you will have the strength to overcome all obstacles and end up successful in your life - no matter what. There has never been one moment that I haven't been proud of you. You are such a blessing to me and I love you so much that it sometimes hurts.

 My promise to you is this: I will never give up on you. I will support you in every way I can for as long as you live. I will love you unconditionally and be there for you every step of the way on the journey of your life. I will be your rock and strength when you need it. I will be your shoulder to cry on when you need it. I will be there to make you laugh and encourage you. I will never, ever give up.

I am so proud of you Morgan. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for your future.


Love,

1 comment: