Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Why I Love East Texas


I used to be one of those people who said I would never come back home. Once I was out of this small town of 4,500, I said I was never looking back. And well, never say never. Because I did move back and don't regret my decision one bit.

Some of the best things that have happened to me thus far in life happened because I came back. There are some perks to living in your hometown, and I thought I would share some of them today.

  • Afternoons spent with my oldest and dearest friend; drinking coffee and gossiping and just enjoying our friendship.
  • Kiddos. Lots and lots of beautiful kiddos. I'm not missing them growing up. I'm now able to be a part of it.
  • Celebrations. Birthday parties, Christmas parties, wedding celebrations - being able to take part part in them all. Not just my friends, but my friends kiddos too!  
  • Taking back roads. To get home. To get to a friends. Or just because.
  • Country friendly. It's a whole different kind of friendly. You still wave when you pass someone on the road. We still pull over for funeral processions. Men still tip their hats. Truly.
  • It only takes five minutes to get anywhere in town. ANYWHERE. Five minutes tops.
  • Feeling safe. Being able to be out late. Go anywhere. Walk at the track at dusk. I never worry.
  • The landscape. The pine trees. The pastures. The lakes. Wow. I never realized how beautiful home was until I came back.
  • Game nights. Winery nights. Movie nights. Or just acting crazy nights. All my friends are amazing.
  • People know you here. And this can be a good or a bad thing. But I love people knowing my name. Knowing my history. Knowing the cloth I'm cut from.
  • Mom & Dad. They are my home. And I can only find them in East Texas.
  • Small town sports. It's a life all it's own. Football games, baseball games, softball games - being able to get behind your hometown team and be proud.
  • And of course, David and the kids. I never would have found my Prince Charming and be getting married in 38 days if I never would have come home. That's reason enough to be blessed to be living in Small Town America.

What do you love best about where you live? Did you ever move off, only to find yourself right back where you started?

1 comment:

  1. okay i want to move back home SOOO bad!!! i miss my small town and all my friends so much. this post made me homesick!

    ReplyDelete