Saturday, March 20, 2010

What part of that was confusing?


Perhaps it's because I live in East Texas. It might be because my town holds a mere 4,50e0 people. Maybe it's for the same reason I hear "then how do you get your protein" every time I tell someone around here I don't eat meat. I suppose maybe in the land of barbecue, beer and beef, I stand out as an oddity. I mean, I have to drive 45 minutes to find a grocery store that has any kind of selection of vegetarian or vegan food. However, that doesn't deter me from being, well, me. However, what I love most is the reaction I get from people in the area. For instance, as you can imagine, there aren't many restaurants around with vegetarian selections. I have to be pretty creative when eating out. We were eating out at a local Mexican restaurant the other night and I really wanted fajitas. There was no reason I shouldn't be able to have them... there was enough to fill a tortilla, even without leaving out the meat. So, when the waitress came by to take our order, I ordered fajitas -- of course though, I told her to hold the meat. If I could only begin to explain to you the look on her face. I guess you could call it one of confusion. So confused, in fact, that she then started to ask if I wanted chicken or beef. I stated again, no meat. Confusion again. "So, you're saying you don't want any meat?" I reply, "that's right, no meat." To which she asks, "well, do you want the other stuff?" Apparently, if you're leaving off the meat it makes taking the order much more difficult than just cutting the onions. So, just this evening I was at Home Depot, picking up the pots and potting soil to transplant my seedlings for the garden. Upon checking out, the oung man could not get the plastic bags open to bag my items. I told him, "I prefer you not bag them at all." Once again, confusion. His whole face just went kinda blank. Stupid me, I then tried to explain to him my reasoning... the plastic bags are bad for the earth - I'm trying to be greener - the bags are an unnecessary evil. All this did was creat more confusion. So, I've decided... I simply just have to expect people to look at me as if I'm speaking a different language. I'm different -- and sometimes people don't understand different. But, I'm totally cool with that. Plus, really, it's quite entertaining too!

No comments:

Post a Comment